Get Today in Masonic History into your Inbox. Sign up today for one of our email lists!
Need an article for your Trestleboard/Newsletter see our Use Policy

TODAY in Masonic History:

Facebook Twitter Google

William Harrison "Jack" Dempsey Passes Away

Today in Masonic History William Harrison "Jack" Dempsey passes away in 1983.

William Harrison "Jack" Dempsey was an American boxer.

Dempsey was born William Harrison Dempsey in Manassa, Colorado on June 24th, 1895. His family was poor and they moved around quite often so his father could find work. His parents converted to Mormonism and at the age of eight he was baptized in the Church of Latter Day Saints. Dempsey dropped out of school in elementary school to help support the family. By the age of 16 he left home. To earn money he went to bars and saloons challenging people to fights. He walked in stating "I can't sing and I can't dance, but I can lick any SOB in the house." Bets were made and the barroom brawls ensued. There were few records kept of these events, it is said Dempsey lost very few of these fights. Shortly after Dempsey became a professional fighter.

In Dempsey's early career he fought under various names. Because of this it is difficult to get an accurate accounting of his early fight record. It was in 1914, Dempsey added the name "Jack" as a tribute to middleweight boxer Jack "Nonpareil" Dempsey.

In 1917, the United States entered World War I and Dempsey went to work in a shipyard while he continued to box. He was accused of being a slacker for not going into combat. It was later revealed he did enlist and was deemed 4-F.

In 1919, Dempsey met World Heavyweight Champion Jess Willard for a title match. Dempsey knocked Willard down in the first round. Dempsey won the fight and it created a controversy which followed him the rest of his life. There were reports after the fight Willard had broken facial bones, ribs and a variety of other injuries too severe to have been inflicted by Dempsey's unassisted hand. Accusations arose of Dempsey using a knuckleduster, a weapon similar to brass knuckles, in his glove. In Dempsey's case it was claimed a railroad spike was used. This theory gained some traction when in the film of the fight, something is seen lying on the canvas which is scooped up by someone in Dempsey's corner. It was brought back to life in the early 1970's when Dempsey's manager during the Willard-Dempsey fight claimed when he wrapped Dempsey's hands he included plaster of Paris in the wrappings. This was debunked though by first hand accounts of the wrappings, the same film showing Willard inspecting Dempsey's wrappings and tests to see the impact of having plaster of Paris in the wrappings.

Dempsey defended his World Heavyweight Champion title several times. One of the biggest was against Georges Carpentier, a World War I hero from France. The fight took place in New Jersey and was the first million-dollar gate in boxing history. It was also the first national radio broadcast. In his last successful defense of his title against Luis Ángel Firpo, the fight was broadcast to Buenos Aires.

During the course of Dempsey holding the title of World Heavyweight Champion, he became one of the richest athletes in the World and was put on the cover of Time magazine.

In 1926, Dempsey lost his tittle to Gene Tunney. The fight had the largest attendance for a sporting event outside of racing and soccer. When he returned to his dressing room after his defeat he told his wife "Honey, I forgot to duck." Ronald Reagan used the same line with his wife Nancy after his assassination attempt.

Dempsey attempted to win back his title in 1927 from Tunney. Dempsey was losing the fight until he came back and knocked Tunney to the canvas. There was a new rule instituted at the time which required the boxer to go to a neutral corner. Dempsey refused to go and the referee had to escort him over to the corner. This gave Tunney an extra 5 seconds to recover and was able to get up on the 9 count. Dempsey was later knocked down and some say Tunney did not go to a neutral corner and the referee counted anyway. Regardless of any controversy it was Dempsey's last major fight. He continued to do exhibition matches.

When the United States entered World War II, Dempsey enlisted again. This time in the New York National Guard. He then transferred to the United States Coast Guard Reserve. He was honorably discharged from the Coast Guard Reserve in 1945.

After the war, Dempsey became a philanthropist. He notably stated he was glad he never had to fight Joe Louis in the ring. When Louis fell on hard times, Dempsey headed a charity for Louis to get him back on his feet.

Dempsey passed away on May 31st, 1983 in New York City. He said to his wife, "Don't worry honey, I'm too mean to die" just before passing away from heart failure.

Dempsey was a member of Kenwood Lodge #800 in Chicago, Illinois.

This article provided by Brother Eric C. Steele.