Get Today in Masonic History into your Inbox. Sign up today for one of our email lists!
Need an article for your Trestleboard/Newsletter see our Use Policy

TODAY in Masonic History:

Facebook Twitter Google

Frank Earl Hering is Born

Today in Masonic History Frank Earl Hering is born in 1874.

Frank Earl Hering was an American football coach.

Hering was born on April 30th, 1874 in Sunbury, Pennsylvania. He attended the University of Notre Dame graduating with two degrees first in 1898 and then in 1902.

During his first years at Notre Dame, Hering became active in the athletics program. He had already played football with the Chicago Maroons, the team for the University of Chicago, in 1893 and 1894 as quarterback. In 1895 he got a head coaching job for the Bucknell Bison, the football team for Bucknell University. The following year he went to Notre Dame to play quarterback.

In 1898 Hering took over the athletics program at Notre Dame. He coached football, baseball and basketball. He introduced basketball to the school. He earned the title "Father of Notre Dame Football" for his success in expanding the program from an intramural activity to a full-fledged intercollegiate sport. In 1930, Hering dedicated the new Notre Dame Stadium.

In his later years at Notre Dame Hering was active in the community. He created "Hering House," a civic center for the African-American community. He was also active in women's rights, promoting mothers' pension laws and old age pension laws.

Hering is also known as the "Father of Mother's Day" by the Fraternal Order of Eagles. Hering traveled around giving addresses on Mother's Day to help promote the day in an effort to make it a national holiday. There is a plaque at the English Opera House of Indianapolis, Indiana commemorating the First Mother's Day address in 1904 given by Hering. It should be noted Anna Jarvis is the founder of Mother's Day, creating a day celebrating her own mother and all mothers.

Hering passed away on July 11th, 1943.

Hering was a member of South Bend Lodge No. 294 in South Bend, Indiana.

This article provided by Brother Eric C. Steele.